Sunday, October 29, 2006

Upgrade to Egdy Eft

Yesterday I read about the final release of Ubuntu 6.10, Edgy Eft. As for my good experiences with Dapper Drake I decided to upgrade. Having sort of a Debian history I was quite confident that a dist-upgrade would work quite flawlessly, especially since I had not made any deep modifications of my system (definitely a point for Ubuntu here! :)).

Preparing

I went to the Ubuntu homepage and read the Upgrade Notes. I had always wondered - however not really bothered to find out either - what this alternate install CD was. Now I know that it is used to save bandwidth in the upgrade process, because it can be used as a local repository source. I do however wonder, why this cannot be done with the regular install media. But anyways...

Upgrading

I ran the CD based upgrade as described in the upgrade notes. A graphical tool came up and asked me whether I wanted to download updates of more recent packages from the net. I said yes, suspecting that there would not be that many of them, as the whole distribution had just come out. However after a while analyzing my system I was told that about 250MB of newer packages would have had to be downloaded. I decided to abort here, because I had a bad feeling about being of of several thousands, hitting the repository server.

I re-ran the tool and this time said "no" when it asked me if I had a cheap/fast internet connection. Still the updater claimed it needed about 250MB of data, however I suspected this was just a badly formulated message that appeared no matter what. So I let it go from here (acknowledging the "point of no return" warning) this time.

A progress bar showed up and a label claiming 1117 packages needed to be fetched. The first 900 or so went very fast, seemingly from the mounted CD image. However then things started to become ugly. Looking at the process list revealed that apt was happily downloading packages from the net with an astounding speed of between 7 and 15kb(!)/s... Nothing fancy of course... Just OpenOffice, some GTK libraries, several dictionaries, the GIMP help files in German and English and so forth. All in all the upgrade from Dapper to Edgy took me around 9 hours, 8.5 of which where just used for downloads I had tried to avoid in the first place.

Afterwards it occurred to me that this alternate install CD did not contain everything I had installed, so I guess it just did not have any chance but to download those packages, however in that case I would have liked a DVD to download via BitTorrent first.

Manual cleanup

Once the upgrade tool was done, it rebooted the machine. When the Grub menu came up I had to manually choose the new kernel, because of my manually modified choice of configurations. This was ok. However for some reason I went through a text-mode boot process where I would have expected a nice usplash screen. Looking at the log later revealed that it complained about not having a configuration for 640x480. I have two DFPs, both 1280x1024, so I do not know why it would have tried the lower resolution. I added vga=794 to the kernel line in the menu.lst to resolve this. Once it worked I could see some nice artwork :)

Next I logged in and found myself unable to start a simple gnome-terminal. Choosing it from the Applications menu made a "Starting terminal..." appear in the task bar for a few seconds, but now terminal opened. Running xterm worked however. Googling the web I almost immediately found this entry in the Ubuntu Forums. Obviously it has something to do with the X11 configuration. Strangely enough this had always worked with Dapper.

What worked however (and without any further ado) was video playback, even with correct colors. I did not have the time to dig deeper into my wrong video colors problem, and as it seems this will not be necessary any more :)

Another thing I found to be not working was Azureus. It came up with its splash screen and almost immediately terminated again. Starting it from a terminal brought this up:

ds@yavin:~$ azureus 
changeLocale: *Default Language* != English (United States). Searching without country..
changeLocale: Searching for language English in *any* country..
changeLocale: no message properties for Locale 'English (United States)' (en_US), using 'English (default)'
#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb0527d02, pid=8613, tid=3085334192
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_08-b03 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libglibjni-0.4.so+0x8d02]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid8613.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
Aborted (core dumped)
ds@yavin:~$

I found some people on the net (see here and here, however they at least managed to get a stack trace. However I decided to try the "official" Azureus version from Sourceforge and just backed up /usr/share/java/Azureus2.jar and replaced it with Azureus2.5.0.0.jar. This solved the problem for me, however this is something I would not have expected from a final release. This is not some obscure feature not working, but the whole app not coming up...

Next steps

Next thing I'll try is setting up a 3D desktop environment. I will probably go with the description in this forum entry. I will keep updating as I go...

1 comment:

tavis said...

Thank you for the azureus fix! It also fixes the tray icon (that for me was previously just a grey box :) I must admit I haven't come across too many problems in the upgrade yet, but then I've never tried to upgrade ubuntu before so I've no frame of reference :)
Cheers!