Friday, January 15, 2010

HP Mac Software Support - Ridiculous

When a few weeks ago my Canon LIDE70 scanner died, I went and looked for a Snow Leopard compatible replacement. I found the HP ScanJet G2410 which is labeled compatible with 10.6. Little did I expect what “compatible” means in HP’s terms.

So I went ahead and bought one at a local electronics store. Inside the box there was a leaflet informing me about the software on the CD only being suitable for Leopard (10.5) and that I would need to download the most recent version from HP’s homepage, which I did.

Downloading it took a long time, because apparently they are throttling the bandwidth to about 30kb/s – not so nice when you have to download 120MB for a driver. Once it was finished, I launched the installer and everything seemed to work just fine.

However I noticed that Apple’s Image Capture application did not recognize the scanner, even though their own tool “HP Scan” works flawlessly (not considering the 100% CPU load on both cores for about 30s before the first scan starts). The tool is not the fastest, but is has a reasonably tidy interface and comes with sensible presets and OCR.

When I noticed today that I could not scan a new document from my document management tool “YEP!”. So I went to the HP support site again to try and look for an updated driver. But instead I learned, that they silently removed the DMG file I had downloaded before! Their support site at hp.com tells me that software is “Available now” – apparently they did pay much attention to detail when pulling it.

So next I contact their “chat support” about the issue. This is a transcript:

[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:30 PM] -- Automatically generated message:
Your support request has been received and has been queued. We are working on your problem and will contact you within approximately five minutes during business hours, (Monday-Friday, between 8am and 5pm local time).

[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:31 PM] -- Automatically generated message:
For reference, your Case ID is 4609169909
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:31 PM] -- Automatically generated message:
A Support specialist, Jisha C has been assigned to your case.

[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:31 PM] -- Jisha C says:
Hello Daniel, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard and for your interest in our Instant Support Program! My name is Jisha and I see you have a query regarding your HP Product.

I'm going to take few moments to review the information you submitted and will message you in a couple of minutes.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:32 PM] -- Jisha C says:
I understand that you need the Snow Leopard compatible software for HP Scanjet G2410 Flatbed Scanner. Is that correct?
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:32 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:33 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
On this page it says, it should be available: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01863616
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:34 PM] -- Jisha C says:
Daniel, I am sorry to inform you that the Snow Leopard compatible software for the scanner is not yet released.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:35 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
it was released. i downloaded it once, but do not have it anymore.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:35 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
i need to install it again
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:35 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
the file was called HP_Installer_Scanjet_v2.4.0_Ph1
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:36 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
with a .dmg ending
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:36 PM] -- Jisha C says:
Its not available for download.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:36 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
yes, I can see that.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:38 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
so why does it say "Available now"? I bought this model of scanner just because the software was available for this operating system release. without it, it is just a brick taking up space.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:38 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
HP cannot be serious about this.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:39 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
First release it, then withdraw it, tell people on their own website to go ahead and download it, and now a support agent tells me it has not been released is not what I expect from a renowned company.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:40 PM] -- Jisha C says:
I suggest you to register the HP product to receive alert for any software or driver updates.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:40 PM] -- Jisha C says:
In order to subscribe your information for driver updates, please refer the web link provided below:

[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:40 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
I already did. do you by any chance have an idea on how long this will take?
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:41 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
Who else could I contact for more information on this?
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:44 PM] -- Jisha C says:
I am sorry, we cannot provide any estimate date for the software release.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:56 PM] -- Jisha C says:
Are we still connected?
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:58 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:59 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
we are.
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:59 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
so, do I have any chance of contacting someone "closer to the source" of the software?
[Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:59 PM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
right now I have a brand new HP scanner on my desk which is completely useless.
[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:00 AM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
HP advertises it as being compatible with 10.6, so I expect something more than just a recommendation to subscribe to a notification service to learn about when - sometime in the future - someone decides to publish an update.
[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:00 AM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
at least put the software back that was there before
[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:01 AM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
otherwise, please let me know how to contact someone at HP to arrange for them taking the scanner back and returning my money.
[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:02 AM] -- Jisha C says:
You can submit a complain or suggestion directly using the “Support Case Manager".

The "Support Case Manager - Professional Edition" is a HP website that provides a place to submit a complain or suggestion directly by the customer and this website also has an online tracking system to find the status of a particular case.

Submit & Manage a support case:

[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:03 AM] -- Daniel Schneller says:
thank you. i will look into that.
[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:03 AM] -- Jisha C says:
You are welcome.
[Friday, January 15, 2010 12:05 AM] -- Jisha C says:
Daniel, since we have completed troubleshooting your issue I am going to close this support request at this time. If you should need assistance in the future please revisit our Instant Support Program.

Thank you again for contacting Hewlett-Packard and have a great day!

So I indeed went to the “Support Case Manager – Professional Edition” site and filed an issue. Well, I had to do it twice, because they do not seem to like Safari there – I had to re-enter everything in Firefox after the page just died on me.

So now I am waiting for their response. This is what I put into the ticket contents:

I recently bought a ScanJet G2410 - I picked this particular model, because HP advertises it as being supported on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

In the box I found a note that I needed to download the drivers, because the CD was out of date. I did so and installed it on my Mac. It worked - even though not to my full satisfaction. When I needed to reinstall my machine, I wanted to download the software from HP's support website again, as per the instructions on [link as above]

There it says the software is “Available now”. However when I proceed to the downloads page, I am only offered drivers for OS9 and OS X up to version 10.5 (Leopard) which the note in the box says *not to install*. The 10.6 compatible drivers seem to have been removed without any traces.

This leaves me with a brand new scanner that is completely worthless now, because I cannot use it for my business. I contacted HP's chat support already, but was only told that they could not estimate a release date (rerelease would be a better term...) for the driver.

I would like to hear about HP's general policy in this case. After all, I effectively have a $100 brick on my desk - this is not what I expect from a company like Hewlett Packard. For me this leaves two options: Either you can provide me with the necessary drivers, or I have to ask you to take your product back, refunding my money.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Daniel Schneller

I will post updates as I (hopefully) progress.

3 comments:

Fahd said...

The driver for OS X 10.6 is still not available, is it?
I wanted to buy the same scanner but luckily found out about this problem before purchasing.
Ridiculous indeed!

Daniel Schneller said...

Oh, no, it has been available for a long time and even seen some updates.
I have since moved to a Fujitsu ScanSnap Scanner, but here you find a follow up post: http://www.danielschneller.com/2010/01/hp-scanjet-g2410-mac-os-x-106-driver.html

Juan Miguel Flores Díaz said...